sites clunisiens site
sitesitesitesite sites clunisiens vignoblesetdecouvertes site
restaurants patrimoine nature evenements pratique
cote vignoble hebergement restaurants patrimoine nature evenements pratique

Patrimony > Cluniac sites

The Clunisiac sites network,
Long cultural route of the European Council

The cultural routes illustrate the worth supported by the European Council: The Human Rights, cultural democracy, diversity and cultural european identity, exchange and mutual enrichment beyond borders and centuries.

The clunisiac sites network has obtained this mention in May 2005.
Informations also available on the federation website.

site clunisien

Founded in 909 or 910 by Guillaume d’Aquitaine, The Cluny Abbey never stopped to shine on the society of its period. Its abbey church was the biggest church of the world until its progressive demolition which started in 1798.

carte reseau
Le château de Gevrey-Chambertin  

This donation was completed, in 1019, by the one from Hugues, bishop of Auxerre who gives to Cluny the second half-part of the poperty he owned. The abbey reconstitute this way its poperty which has the the particularity of onwing neither priory nor church. Nevertheless, it was pillaged by men of the Duke Hugues IV, around 1250, as reprisals against the monks...
In 1257, the abbot of Cluny is Yves de Chazan, he is a Vergy belonging to the Beaumont branch. He undertake the fortification of the massive house in the centerof the poperty, which last in 1275. At this period the Cluny abbot, who directly managed this property, became entierely lord of Gevrey by acquiring from Duke Robert II half of the still missing seignery. This protected building became this way a castle which has been pillaged several times, between the 14th and the 18th century. His good is really precious indeed: it is actually the wine produced by the property which appeals lots of interests.

The Gevrey site has the particularity of not housing monastic heritage but buildings administrated as the religious buldings by the Cluny monks.

chaeta u gevrey

L'abbaye Saint Vivant de Curtil-Vergy

In 1000 A.D, the Saint-Vivant abbey is entrusted to the Saint-Bénigne abbot of Dijon, Guillaume de Volpiano, who comes from Cluny to be discharged by himself. There Guillaume named ingelbaldus as a priory, who is in charge of a community counting 30 monks of Vergy. But it is at the end of the century, in 1087, that Saint-Vivant is formally submit to Cluny. The prior in charge at this moment is Jocerans Gros, coming from the family of powerful lords close to Cluny, who occupy the Brancion castle.
The medieval monastry open a huge construction site to be rebuilt after 1772, year it was entierely demolished to be rebuilted as the buildings of this time, with the plan of the architect Jean-Antoine Caristie.
In 1796, the monastry is purchased by Antoine Mollerat, smith in Pellerey, who order to demolish the builded parts except the prioral church.

In 1996, the ruins of the monastry are purchased by the Romanée-Saint-Vivant public companie and, 3 years later the abbey of Saint-Vivant association is created to protect the monastry, great site, which remains one of the last buildings witnessing the great wine production past of Burgundy.
In fact, that is in this building that the monks invented the soil and delimited the most parts of the Vosne-Romanée Grands Crus in which they owned a harvest machine.
So was saved the massive vaulted cave situated ground-floor in oriental aisle of the monastry oriental. The other parts of this housing scheme are preserved with the aim of creating a vast walking path in with it is also possible to find informative signs enabling visitors to discover this place full of history...

"l'Abbaye de Saint-Vivant" Association
Vendangeoir des moines de Saint-Vivant
1 Rue du Temps perdu F-21700 Vosne-Romanée
Tél. : ++ 33 (0)3 80 62 48 87 Fax : ++ 33 (0)3 80 61 05 72


st vivant


st vivant


st vivant

Le moulin Chevalier à Messanges  

Situated in the VERGY hill, on the Meuzin river bank...
The Chevalier windmill was Yves de Vergy became abbot of Cluny.
So naturally it was 26 years later (in 1282) that the windmill make a annually and perpetual donation to the abbot of Cluny, Yves de Chazan, nephew of the Vergy familly.
In 1411, the donation is renewed and of course updated. So continue this financial and spiritual link, between the Chevalier windmill and Cluny, link which ended up in the middle of the 17th century. Very humbly and with his own way of doing, he took part in the great clunisiac epic.
However, here, highlight of architecture but also a building designed to be functionnal and used as a grind mill.
Well-conserved witness of the past history (in activity until 1983) is remarkable thanks to its range of tools from the millstone the 1950's vats.
On 4 floors and 950 m² are showed the machines traditionally used to the fabrication of flour. The recent renovations make easier the securised public access within the framework of a showing as the museums of global and craft industry do.
This initiative (with whom he got the distinction "Patrimoine 2000") enable to bring back to life technics and energies of the flour trade in the recent centuries.

  • Exhibitions, regularly repeated, with thematics about water and environment.
  • Video-showing of the windmill by the last miller for the disabled persons.
  • Open during France Heritage Days and with bookings. Tel +33(0)5 62 99 09 96 ou 06 11 36 15 67.

Access :     Route de Segrois 21220 MESSANGES.

  • From Nuits-Saint-Georges ( 6 km) : by D25 - D35 direction Pont de Pany .
  • From Gevrey-Chambertin: by D31 then D35 direction Nuits-Saint-Georges.
  • G.P.S. : N47°09.46,5  E4°52.49,3

contact :  

Moulin Chevalier
Route de Segrois 21220 MESSANGES
Tél: 06 11 36 15 67












boutique gb

climats de bourgogne

Touristeninformation von Gevrey-Chambertin 1 rue Gaston Roupnel 21220 Gevrey-Chambertin Telefon : 33 (0)3 80 34 38 40
Geöffnet Ganze Tage vom Mai bis September / von Montag bis Samstag Oktober bis April

barre nav gevrey chambertin liens mentions legales espace pro liens mentions legales